It's really embarassing to be talking to someone and only catch 50% of what they're saying because you have 0 clue what the words they're using mean! I've encountered this more times than I'd like to admit! I've picked a few words that could come up in conversation or would be pretty impressive to use in conversation.
- Inculcate - instill (an attitude, idea, or habit) by persistent instruction
- Usurp - take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
- Gauche - lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward
- Diffident - modest or shy because of a lack of self-confidence
- Sanquine - optimistic or positive, esp. in an apparently bad or difficult situation.
If you knew these words I am very impressed! Hopefully you find a way to use them in conversation and impress your professor or a even better, a cute english major!